The Sociology department of Mithibai College came into existence in 1961. Prof. Uday Mehta, an eminent scholar and research guide is credited with having kick started this department when sociology was still in its nascent stage. From then on this department has only grown to become one of the most coveted departments in Mithibai College.
Every year this department churns out students who perform with flying colours. It intermittently produces university rank holders despite admitting students with average and vernacular-medium background. The credit goes to the innovative methods and modern approach of student-centric teaching adopted by the department. The teachers are constantly devising interesting tools such as presentations, role play, screening socially relevant films, field trips, assignments etc. to make sociology relevant to the current needs. Students of Sociology are exposed to various NGOs and documentation centers across the city, thus making them well equipped in dealing with pertinent and burning issues of our society. The field trips organized for our students enhance better interaction among students as well as between students and teachers.
The department has maximum number of students in the Arts
- Initiated a museum trip to Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya for TYBA students on 12th March 2019 as part of new teaching-learning method for the subject of cultural anthropology.
- Dr. Khevana Desai along with three students of TYBA attnded a special lecture on "Going beyond the uneasy relationship between Marxism and Feminism' By Dr. Manisha Desai (Head, Dept. Of Sociology, University of Connecticut USA) on 14th December 2018 at University of Mumbai on the occasion of centennial celebration of Department of Sociology.
- A lecture pertaining to voluntary work in teaching at national level was conducted by representatives of ‘Teach for India’ for TYBA and SYBA social work and welfare on 23rd August.
- Dr. Khevana Desai delivered a lecture on Natural capitalism and eco-socialism was conducted on Juhu beach for TYBA Students of Sociology Dept on 26th July 2018.
- 32 SYBA Social Work & Social Welfare students have done internship for 20 hours in various NGO's as part of syllabus activity
- 20 Students from TYBA participated in verbal and poster presentations at an intra-collegiate competition on 'Consent' organised by University WDC, MAJLIS and Mithibai internal complaint committee on 12th January 2018.
- 5 Students from TYBA under the guidance of Dr. Khevana Desai presented a research paper on "Sanitation woes of young girls and women: a study of toilet facilities at Railway Stations in Mumbai" at a research paper presentation competition held at Maniben Nanavati college on 27th January 2018.
- The department of Sociology in collboration with Krantijyoti Savitribai Phule Women Study Centre, Pune organised a half a day workshop on Safety of women in Public place for TYBA on 22nd February 2018. The workshop covered the issues of safety and security of girls and women in Public spaces, surveillance by Institutions, role and responsibility of family, judiciary and educational institutions. Students were engaged in poster making activity pertaining to gender mapping of the route from their residence to college. There was also an orientation on various degree and Diploma courses conducted by the Centre.
The department in collaboration with other departments of Arts Faculty had organised a movie trip for the film 'Lipstick under my burkha' on 25th July 2017 .This trip was organised to study issues and challenges of varying gender roles.
- Screening of movie 'Water' to social work and social welfare students from 3rd to 4th July 2017.
- A Role play assignment was held for the students of FYBCom, FYBA and FYBsc to study rural and urban divide (Foundation course-I) from 13th to 27th July.
- A ‘dubsmash/short film’ assignment to study ‘Social Facts’ was conducted for the TYBA students on 7th July 2017.
- A ‘Snapshot assignment’ to study ‘Merton’s functionalism’ was conducted for the TYBA students on 21st July 2017.
- A ‘Poster-making’ assignment to study ‘Critical Theory’ was conducted for the FYBA students on 21st July 2017.
- Parent- teacher meeting conducted for TYBA in the month of August 2017.
- An episode of Satyamev Jayate on 'manual scavenging and untouchability in India' was shown to SYBA students for a more visual and contemporary understanding of caste mobilisations in India.
- SYBA Social work & social welfare student Zainab Patel gave presentation on 'NGO's in Mumbai'; Riddhi Shah and Jinal Vora presented on 'Indian social activists'. The presentations were undertaken to help spread it's reach and awareness among students as part of the syllabus.
- *The Department of Sociology in collaboration with YMCA undertook a social awareness project wherein students of TYBA visited three shelter homes of the NGO ‘Snehasadan’ on 24th August 2017.As part of the project, these visits would be continued in the next few months too.
- SYBA Syllabus revision workshop for paper II and III of Sem III & IV was organised by the Department in collaboration with ADHOC Board, Sociology at Mithibai College on 14 June 2017.