Department of Economics, established in 1961, is one of the oldest departments
of Mithibai College. Department offers a 3-year integrated B.A. programme
in Economics with total of 18 papers spread across six semesters and a 2-year
integrated M.A programme in Economics (CBCS) covering a total of 16
papers across four semesters.
Department also offers 08 papers of Economics for
the B. Com. Programme.
The department encourages
& motivates students to participate in inter-collegiate competitions. Students
from the department have won honours and awards for their outstanding
performances at these events.
Key reasons why learners
should enrol for the programme.
offers theory and practical courses like PYTHON designed to inculcate skills
required to undertake analytical and applied tasks in their respective
offers updated curriculum to compete against leading universities such as Delhi
University and California University to name a few.
provides students with ample opportunities to undertake their own research
under the guidance of Research Scholars.
and job opportunities with organizations such as RBI, Credit Rating Agencies
and Teach for India, both in public and private sectors are available to
graduates of these programmes.
programmes offered under the department will help the learners to pursue higher
studies in the field of finance, applied economics & research.
have been offered admissions for their higher studies by leading universities
such as The London School of Economics, University of Singapore, University of
Yale and University of Glasgow among many others.
- Saif Sayed, T.Y.B.A student with guidance from Ms. Archana Garate, Librarian conducted a demonstrative technical session on how to source research material using NLIST for TYBA (A) Economics class for the purpose of undertaking literature review and reference management for their Economics paper UAMAECO609, which is a research based 'Project' on Tuesday, 29.12.2022, at 9.06 am in room 415.
- Excerpts from the movie ‘The Big Short’ was screened for TYBA Economics students on Tuesday, 29.12.2022, at 7.30 am in room 415, followed by a discussion on the Global Financial Crisis 2008 for the course on Macroeconomics – III.
- Mithibai Economic Forum (MEF) orientation for students was held on 11th November 2022 at 12.00 pm in Juhu Jagruti Hall. Students were given information on activities and programs of MEF and encouraged to join the various departments for carrying forward the activities for the academic year 2022-23.
- Mithibai Economic Forum (MEF) conducted 3 live sessions on Instagram on the themes of ‘The Art of investing for Beginners and Pros’ by CA Mahima Vacchrajani on 6th November at 4.00 pm; ‘How to manage and grow your portfolio?’ by Brahmi Kapasi on 13th November at 4.00 pm and ‘Transforming the World with AI’ by Paras Madan on 26th November at 4.00 pm for more than 100 participants.
- Mithibai Economic Forum (MEF) conducted an intercollegiate online masterclass on the topic ‘Exponential Growth for Wealth Creation’ for students conducted by CS Harsh Vira on 27th November, Sunday at 1.00 pm on MSTEAMS.
- The Economic Transcript (TET), published the monthly issue of E-magazine on the cover theme of ‘Homosexuality: Acceptance in a divided World’.
- On January 4th, 2023, The Economic Transcript (TET) held its largest-ever event, The Judgement Day, at the Juhu Jagruti Hall under the leadership of Manasi Varwandkar, who is the current Editor-In-Chief (EIC) of TET. The event was judged by Mr. Sankalp Meshram, an award-winning film editor with five National Awards, and Mr. Anish Saha, Sales and Marketing Manager at XIRCLS - Collaborative Marketing Network. The objective of The Judgement Day event was to provide a platform for participants to showcase their innovative ideas for leading a planet as the supreme leader. The event aimed to foster creativity and strategic thinking among the participants, as well as to provide a unique opportunity for networking and learning from industry experts.
- On 19th January 2023, a group of 56 students of Mithibai (TYBCOM/BA) accompanied by 5 teachers undertook a study tour to Shirpur in Dhule district with an aim to visit the NMIMS Shirpur campus, textile factories, organic farms and also the water conservation project implemented under the guidance and support of Shri. Amrishbhai Patel. The outcome of this field visit was experiencing and learning about the ongoing SVKM projects first hand by visiting the project sights and acquiring knowledge about their functioning and operations for sustainability not only in the field of education but also in so many other areas of development.
- Mithibai Economic Forum (MEF) under the Department of Economics, conducted its flagship event “The Annual Conclave”, on 11th February 2022 from 11 AM Onwards. The Theme for the Conclave was, “TechNomics: Integrating the Modern Economy with Technology." The objective of this conclave was to receive a deeper insight into the role Technology plays in shaping the world economy. The Speakers were :
Satish Kataria - Founder Fandora and InvestSprint and author of UNBLOC
Tridib Bhattacharjee - Leadership Advisor, Management Consultant, Ex-Tata Motors
Sujit Bangar - Founder - Taxbuddy.com, Ex - IRS, Harvard Alumni
Pratekk Agarwaal - Passionate Entrepreneur and Fintech Expert, IIM K Alumni
Moderator-Deepankar Goyal - HR Manager, Piramal Pharma, MBA (HR),NMIMS
The Event saw a participation of 100 + Students across the people from diverse streams. One of the key takeaways were that Technology has become an integral part of our lives.With the advent of AI, ChatGPT and other tools, though our life has become much easier, we need to pay our attention towards what can be the major challenges and also looking at what can be the potential opportunities we can encounter in future.
have successfully completed internships with reputed firms like Ernst &
Young, Centre for Civil Society, Edelman, The Times of India, CRISIL, Public
and Private Sectors Banks, Global policy insights,
GruwitZ, International Institute of SDG's and Public Policy Research,
Youth India Foundation, EY, Inventure Growth and Securities Limited, Paytm, Bharat
Petroleum Corporation Limited, PwC India, ET Edge - An Economic Times
have been placed in companies like Morgan Stanley, KPMG, EY , Deloitte (USI - CS),
Barclays, PwC, ZS Associates (New Company), ICICI Bank, Futures
First, J.P. Morgan Chase, Deutsche Bank, Phillip Capital (New
Company), Aditya Birla Capital (New Company), BNP Paribas (New
Company), TCS (Atlas)
• Annual packages
offered ranging between Rs. 3 lakhs to Rs. 12.88 lakhs.